From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] RAID 1 over network
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:45:15
1 On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:58:56 +0600
2 Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:40:46 +0200
5 > Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Hi all!
8 > >
9 > > Short:
10 > > What is the best way to setup something similar to RAID 1 over a
11 > > WAN?
12 >
13 > ...
14 >
15 > > One purpose of the setup is to have data redundancy. Thus we have to
16 > > ensure that the data is replicated in a timely manner. Replicating
17 > > MySQL data is not difficult. The problem is the file system data
18 > > like uploaded documents and pictures. We can monitor changes in the
19 > > file system and initiate rsync to copy files over the network, but
20 > > I think it's not a good solution. What we are after is a network
21 > > equivalent of RAID 1. Are there any viable solutions that could
22 > > work over a WAN?
23 >
24 > If replication after file is completely hit the disk is not acceptable
25 > either because files are quite large or have to be really synchronous
26 > then I'll second DRBD-with-HA-cluster-fs suggestion.
29 DRBD is HA solution which is achieved by switching the role of the
30 nodes in case the "active node" goes offline. I think DRBD is not meant
31 for the schema OP has described, because only the "active node" is
32 accessible via FS. DRBD works between the FS and block device layers.
33 It catches the FS writes from the active node and sends them over the
34 network. DRBD on the backup node receives those and replicates them
35 directly to the disk driver. Thus you can't have mounted FS on the
36 backup node. If the active node goes offline, the backup node takes
37 over which means DRBD switches roles and the FS has to be mounted
38 afterwards.
41 Best regards,
42 Daniel