From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 18:07:21
1 On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:29:11 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > > It's already happened here. My kernel mounts / and /usr thanks to the
4 > > inbuilt initramfs
5 >
6 > That's exactly what I didn't mean, and I think you might have been aware
7 > of that.
8
9 Maybe, but it does fit your description.
10
11 > What I did mean was being able to mount subsequent partitions by giving
12 > kernel parameters in the boot loader configuration file. Something like
13 > "mount=8,3:/usr" for mount /dev/sda3 /usr.
14 >
15 > This would avoid the need to spend any effort whatsoever on building an
16 > initramfs, yet /usr would be mounted early in boot.
17
18 That sounds like a simple and elegant idea, and the kernel already
19 contains the code to mount filesystems. However, it doesn't handle
20 dm-crypt or LVM and putting all that in the kernel could be more complex
21 than putting the initramfs to do it in the kernel. However, if it could
22 be made to work , it would be a neat approach.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Master of all I survey (at the moment, empty pizza boxes)