From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I eject an audio CD inside Gnome?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 12:06:52
1 On Monday 30 May 2011 11:33:02 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 12:10 on Monday 30 May 2011, Alan Mackenzie
3
4 > > Can't say I blame you. What's the choice, though? I appreciate the
5 > > spare uncluttered desktop of Gnome. Last time I tried KDE (about 7 years
6 > > ago) it was anything but uncluttered. I tried XFCE briefly, but couldn't
7 > > get it to run stably. Besides, it was missing an application to switch
8 > > between keyboard layouts, something I absolutely need.
9 >
10 > I hear good things about XFCE these days. If you haven't tried it lately,
11 > it might be worth a new look. And you can always write a small script to
12 > change your keyboard layout if there's no gui app. Not as convenient as a
13 > systray icon, but probably a small price to pay if everything else suits
14 > your needs
15 >
16 > There's also other DEs like *box and e17.
17 >
18 > e17 requires a huge mind shift in how you perceive the desktop but once you
19 > get your head around it, it becomes strangely addictive.
20
21 KDE has changed *significantly* from 7 years ago. It will be a completely new
22 experience for you and there are a number of LiveCDs/DVDs you can use to try
23 it out and see if it meets your needs.
24
25 Fluxbox which I have been using for years is ultimately configurable, but
26 development is not really breathtaking and it does not do compiz or other
27 composite eye-candy. It's fast, but some of its edges are jagged compared to
28 more modern WMs.
29
30 e17 is the best desktop for me, because it is extremely light footed, has
31 enough eye candy (if you need that) and it is relatively configurable. Until
32 it becomes stable you'll need to compile it from svn.
33
34 Alan, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "huge mind shift"? Unless my
35 mind shifted and wasn't aware of it! :))
36 --
37 Regards,
38 Mick