From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:58:19
1 >> > Does the USB stick still boot? It looks like you wiped the wrong
2 >> device.
3 >>
4 >> Bingo, right as usual!  Apparently I wiped the USB stick.  I ran fdisk
5 >> and mk2fs -j again (do I want journaling?) and reinstalled Damn Small
6 >> Linux on the stick.  For some reason the laptop tell me "missing
7 >> operating system" when I try to boot from the stick now.  I need to
8 >> test it on other systems.
9 >
10 > Grant,
11 >
12 > Take a deep breath and hhink about what you're doing for a second.  Did
13 > you just copy files to the stick and expect that it would boot?  It'
14 > still needs a bootloader (LILO, GRUB, SYSLINUX, or whatever) in order to
15 > load the OS on the stick.  Your dd wiped out *everything*
16
17 I think unetbootin installs a bootloader. It worked when I did the
18 above yesterday.
19
20 - Grant
23 > When you finally do get the stick to boot, run fdisk -l or blkid or
24 > whatever and make sure your target disk is actually what you think it
25 > is.
26 >
27 > Anyway might save you some time in the long run... maybe not.