From: Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte <kioshen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6 upgrade howto
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:24:13
1 On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:47:43 +0100, Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi list,
4 >
5 > I'm new to the list (and gentoo) but not to linux.
6 >
7 > I just started with gentoo, had to use the 2004.2 image since 2004.3 crashed
8 > at installtime on my machine (thinkpad 600X)...
9 > I used stage 2. Since then I succesfully installed a lot of apps like KDE and
10 > such, but my kernel is still a selfmade 2.4 one. Now I need to get my
11 > wireless cards working but I'd rather upgrade the kernel first for fear of
12 > doing things twice (or wrong) due to the changed pcmcia drivers.
13 >
14 > I think I correctly upgraded 2004.2 to 2004.3 but how do I check that to make
15 > sure?
16
17 Okay let's divide the questions shall we. There isn't really any
18 revision to gentoo. I think you have switched your profile am I right
19 ? What you have is basically told the system with system package were
20 recommended and current. This isn't the right answer but is the simple
21 answer. The date tags are primarily used for the releng team and grp
22 packages. Profiles are an another thing on it's own but it tells the
23 system defaults in a nutshell.
24
25 > The machine did not do anything spectacular when I made that change,
26 > is that expected behaviour ?
27 If you were up to date with your local portage tree and recently
28 update your installation there is no reason to anything since you
29 already up to date. You only switched profile from what I can read.
30
31 > Now for the fullfillment of the transition to 2004.3 I need a kernel 2.6, right ?
32 Not really, AFAIK gentoo hasn't switched to 2.6 by default. If you
33 still need to you can run a 2.4 kernel without any problems except you
34 will miss some goodies. But, if you aren't confortable with 2.6 or
35 even a linux kernel you might want to stick with a 2.4 kernel. It just
36 works.
37
38 > Can someone point me to the docs that
39 > detail that step cause I could not find that very well.
40 Sure here ya go. It still has that fresh smell from the oven (It has
41 been updated recently)
42
43 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/migration-to-2.6.xml
44
45 May I suggest you go to www.gentoo.org and look at the left side of
46 the navbar to see a big category called Documentation. Check out the
47 user docs section it's pretty good.
48
49 > Or do I just somehow get the sources and start compiling ?
50
51 To keep up to date a gentoo installation :
52
53 emerge sync
54 emerge -uDav world
55
56 What it does is emerge sync update your local portage tree to have the
57 latest ebuilds and then you ask portage to check every package on the
58 system to see if there is something to update and ask you first if
59 everything okay. Might want to read the man pages of emerge.
60
61 > How do I make sure I retain my current kernel as a second boot option if the
62 > 2.6 kernel will not boot ?
63 What boot loader are you using ? Lilo or grub ? Here's my grub.conf
64 that you might find useful :
65
66 default 1
67 timeout 5
68 splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/ninja-girl.xpm.gz
69
70 title=Working Kernel
71 root (hd0,0)
72 kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz.working root=/dev/hda4 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317
73 initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-1024x768
74
75 title=Test Kernel
76 root (hd0,0)
77 kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317
78 initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-1024x768
79
80 title=Old Test Kernel
81 root (hd0,0)
82 kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda4 vga=0x317 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr
83 initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-1024x768
86 Hopes this will help you out
87
88 Jean-Francois