From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT rant] udev + /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:08:10
1 Am Montag 19 September 2011, 16:21:08 schrieb Paul Colquhoun:
2 > On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:31:56 AM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 > > Just don't expect everybody to run our systems without the modern
4 > > parts of the stack just because a Commodore 64 cannot run it.
5 > >
6 > > Many of us actually like the modern features of the kernel, glibc,
7 > > udev, dbus, systemd, pulseaudio, glib, X.org, GStreamer, Gtk+ and
8 > > GNOME (or Qt and KDE). In my case (and I have used Linux for a long
9 > > time), the whole stack looks full of awsomeness, and stuff just works
10 > > most of the time.
11 > >
12 > > So yeah, we use more CPU cycles, more memory and more hard drive. From
13 > > my POV, we get more than that in new and improved functionality.
14 >
15 > Just don't forget that the desktop isn't the whole world, and allow the
16 > backroom server guys to turn off all the bells, whistles and pretty lights
17 > so they can get the best performance from their web servers, mail servers,
18 > DNS servers, etc.
19
20 there are at least two kinds of servers - those who don't need bells and
21 whistles and run happily on an intel atom.
22
23 And those who really do need bells and whistles. I am sure you wouldn't want
24 to build such from scratch.
25
26 Luckily as a desktop linux user I do not have to care about those guys. And
27 these guys don't have to care about me. Isn't that great?
30 #163933