From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] modprobe looks in wrong dir
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:30:01
1 Hi group,
2
3 This should be an easy fix -- if you already know!
4
5 The reason many of my modules are not loading is
6 because modprobe is looking in /lib/modules/2.6.12-r6
7 and not /lib/modules/2.6.16-r3 which was filled when I
8 ran make modules_install.
9
10 The link to the newer kernel is OK.
11
12 Yes, I ran modules-update.
13
14 Also, module loading and unloading options are set=y
15 in kernel.
16
17 Not a clue as to why some modules load, sound, usb;
18 and some, firewire, ppp, forcedeth don't.
19
20 dmesg is filled with lines like:
21
22 Unknown symbol < >...disagrees about version of
23 symbol< > ...
24
25 At the end of the boot console it says:
26
27 /usr/sbin/pppd/: Couldn't stat /dev/ttyS0: Too many
28 levels of symbolic links.
29
30 But according to emerge -pv udev I have the latest
31 ver. Which I set up according to the gentoo
32 udev-guide.
33
34 Attempts to specify the proper dir to modprobe result
35 in no-such-file errors.
36
37 -mw
38
40 Do You Yahoo!?
41 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
42 http://mail.yahoo.com
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list