From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Break In attempts
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:31:52
1 On Sunday 07 October 2007, Remy Blank wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > I have already disabled PAM authentication on sshd so that only users
4 > > with a public key in their ~/.ssh can login.
5 >
6 > This is the first and most important step. This means that the only real
7 > problem is that your logs fill with failed log in attempts.
8 >
9 > The easiest way I have found to avoid that is to change the port number
10 > of the SSH daemon to something else than 22.
11
12 That's right, my standard practice for this sort of problem is to disable root
13 & passwd authentication in favour of public key and then move the ssh port
14 away from the bots. The problem is that on this occasion, this is not my
15 server. I'll have a word with the owner and see what he thinks.
16 --
17 Regards,
18 Mick