From: Wolfgang Illmeyer <wolfgang.illmeyer@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -D pulling in more than it should these days?!
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:58:57
1 Am Donnerstag, 28. September 2006 23:15 schrieb Daevid Vincent:
2 > Something has changed recently with 'emerge'. Whenever I use the -D option,
3 > which I am pretty much in the habbit of typing 'emerge -Dav' or 'emerge
4 > -Davu world/system', I notice it pulling in more stuff than it should. It
5 > never acted like this before. It's only been within the past few weeks. On
6 > an older Gentoo server (which I don't upgrade nearly as often as my
7 > notebook above) it doesn't exhibit this behaviour.
8
9 This seems to be an unlucky change of the semantics of -D. If I remember
10 correctly, -D usually meant "do not downgrade". This option however has long
11 been deprecated because it was responsible for lots of troubles and was
12 removed recently. man emerge now says:
13
14 --deep (-D)
15 When used in conjunction with --update, this flag forces emerge
16 to consider the entire dependency tree of packages, instead of
17 checking only the immediate dependencies of the packages. As an
18 example, this catches updates in libraries that are not directly
19 listed in the dependencies of a package.
20
21 /Wolfgang
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list