From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Amorok and getting started.
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:20:31
1 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag, 26. Oktober 2006 10:56 schrieb ext Dale:
3 >
4 >> Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
5 >>> It does. And if you have such things like home on NFS you need to use a
6 >>> real RDBMS anyway. Since you already have postgresql installed, just
7 >>> use it.
8 >> Thanks for the info. Just what, and how, does it use postgresql anyway?
9 >
10 > Amarok uses postgres (or better: a postgres managed database) to store meta
11 > information of your music (like album data, track titles, when played
12 > last, ...).
13 >
14 >> Keep in mind I'm not really sure what postgresql is. I know it is a
15 >> database program of some kind but that's about it. The home page didn't
16 >> shed much light either. :\
17 >
18 > It is a full featured Relational DataBase Management System (RDBMS), similar
19 > to Oracle. This means that it allows you to create databases to store any
20 > kind of information and later query those databases to get these
21 > informations back.
22 >
23 > HTH...
24 >
25 > Dirk
28 Why couldn't they put something like that on the home page? LOL That
29 make a lot more sense. I have heard of Oracle, never seen it though.
30
31 Thanks for the info. Learned a bit more today.
32
33 Dale
34
36 --