From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:47:57
1 On 18/02/2014 05:46, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 3:53 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> > On 17/02/2014 17:29, Stroller wrote:
4 >>> >>
5 >>> >> On Sun, 16 February 2014, at 4:41 pm, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>> >>> ...
7 >>>> >>> Whatever problems Red Hat are trying to solve in the Red Hat space are
8 >>>> >>> problems that do not affect me, so I do not need Red Hat's solution. As
9 >>>> >>> for Gnome, I have yet to see a valid reason why Gnome *must* use
10 >>>> >>> systemd; that is simply not true at all.
11 >>> >>
12 >>> >> I thought this all boiled down to "trying to login to GDM using accessibility functions and a bluetooth hearing aid" (or bluetooth keyboard, for that matter).
13 >> >
14 >> > That was the classic rationale for "no separate /usr without an initrd"
15 >> > in udev - the claimed need to have any arbitrary runnable code available
16 >> > to be run before the entire system is up and running.
17 >> >
18 >> > Red Hat's reasons for pushing systemd are more fuzzy and nothing I've
19 >> > read so far tells me we have the full picture. Two things seem highly
20 >> > plausible:
21 >> >
22 >> > 1. An init system that can use modern features of the Linux kernel (most
23 >> > often Linux-only at this point) like cgroups
24 >> > 2. Extremely fast boot times to spin up virtual machines in a fraction
25 >> > of the time it currently takes.
26 >> >
27 >> > #1 may or may not be desirable, I honestly don't know. What I have seen
28 >> > is a lot of theory and not much reproducable fact.
29 > init scripts, in general, are ad-hoc, quirky, and incomplete
30 > implementations of service supervision in bash. They're reliable so
31 > long as the daemon can be relied on to advertise one or all of its
32 > processes in a pid file. Thing is, there are way too many different
33 > possible setups for services for that to be the case. In the average
34 > case watching a PID file works. And since most people use "average
35 > software", most people don't care. That's ok.
36 >
37 > Thing is an init isn't just for "most people". It's for "all people".
38 > It should be reliable for all services.
39 >
40 > I used to use cherokee. Fast, light, awesome, and with a web admin.
41 > The init script always failed me. /etc/init.d/cherokee stop was not a
42 > guaranteed stop to all forked cherokee processes - the parent pid
43 > dies, but some forked process or something, usually related to
44 > rrdtool, doesn't. Or the parent does exit and erases the pid file but
45 > it returns control immediately and its not yet done exiting. Something
46 > like that or other. Point is, I've several times had to ps aux|grep
47 > ... kill; zap; start - on production servers.
50 Valid point. Other than vixie-cron (damn thing just never seems to die
51 properly on any platform so restarts always fail) I don't really run
52 into these issues
53
54 What I do run into is daemons that drop privs on start up, like
55 tac_plus. Unwary new sysadmins always try start/stop it as root, causing
56 an unholy mess. Root the owns the log and pid files, when tac_plus drops
57 privs it can't record it's state so continues to service requests but
58 fails to log any of them. For an auth daemon, that's a serious issue.
62 Alan McKinnon
63 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com