From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Something started muting the sound
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:21:37
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:31:45 -0400,
Mick wrote:
> > [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] > On Saturday 12 Aug 2017 09:05:10 Ian Zimmerman wrote: > > On 2017-08-12 17:39, Alexander Kapshuk wrote: > > > (5). Postinst message for alsa-utils: > > > pkg_postinst() { > > > if [[ -z ${REPLACING_VERSIONS} ]]; then > > > elog > > > elog "To take advantage of the init script, and automate the process of" > > > elog "saving and restoring sound-card mixer levels you should" > > > elog "add alsasound to the boot runlevel. You can do this as" > > > elog "root like so:" > > > elog "# rc-update add alsasound boot" > > > ewarn > > > ewarn "The ALSA core should be built into the kernel or loaded through > > > other" ewarn "means. There is no longer any modular auto(un)loading in > > > alsa-utils." > > I don't get this last part. > > > > My ALSA is built as modules, including the core (I'm guessing that means > > snd.ko, right?). I don't do anything particular to load them, they're > > not listed in /etc/conf.d/modules. Yet the mixer save and restore via > > alsasound works. > > > > Could it be that alsasound itself loads the modules on demand, and the > > warning above is misleading? > > Did you run alsactl init to see if the alsa modules are probed and loaded > without errors?
How about checking the various volumes rather than muting maybe some of them are 0 or rather some negative number or something? Also, you might delete the asound.state and let the system start over. Last resort, there is an alsa users mailing list. One other thought, get pulse audio out of the way and see if alsa is working. -- Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is: How do you spend it? John Covici covici@××××××××××.com