From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: gcc optimization levels (was: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer compilation)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 05:46:00
1 On Monday 20 November 2006 15:13, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer compilation':
3 > I don't think there is such an option for gcc "-O4". AFAIK the shorthand
4 > optimization options are -O, -O0, -O1, -O2, -O3 and -Os"
5
6 In addition to -Os, -O will accept any non-negative integer as an argument.
7 Currently, anything above 3 does nothing extra. From what I understand,
8 there have been undocumented levels up to 6, but they have always been
9 considered unstable (which is why they never appeared in documentation).
10
11 The quickest way to recognize a Gentoo ricer is someone that
12 has -O4, -O6, -O99 or something else equally stupid in their CFLAGS. -O3
13 is defensible, as it is at least *supposed to be* stable; anything higher
14 is just stupid.
17 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
18 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
19 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
20 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh