From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Will ARM take over the world?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 05:07:17
1 On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 11:26:02 -0600
2 Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 05:05:30PM +0000, James wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Alan, one of the keenest reasons ARM is dominating
7 > > NOW, is that in the early 1990 one person, helped
8 > > many fledling embedded linux hacks get embedded
9 > > linux running on many different flavors of ARM
10 > > processors.
11 > >
12 > > RUSSELL is KING, and imho is the predominant
13 > > reason today, a decade later, that ARM dominates
14 > > the embedded space. Just look at the vintage
15 > > embedded linux ports to hundreds of boards that
16 > > mostly impoverished little companies built
17 > > and ONE MAN stood in the gap for them all to
18 > > realize their dreams:
19 > >
20 > > http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/
21 > >
22 > > Intel and the rest wanted everyone to purchase expensive
23 > > dev board, licensed embedded RTOSes, and binaries
24 > > for most add on hardware. A prospect that precluded
25 > > the little companies from fair competition.
26 > >
27 > > RUSSELL KING should be wealthy and on the Board
28 > > of directors for ARM ltd. for his unselfish
29 > > and heroic efforts! More than anyone else, he
30 > > made arm-linux a doable for thousands of companies
31 > > back when the embedded world did not think much
32 > > of linux nor embedded linux. (I know I hacked on a
33 > > few of those old projects)....
34 > >
35 > > Intel has nothing but a bunch of blood sucking
36 > > lawyers and assholes that think they are better
37 > > than the rest of us; and they shall fall!
38 > >
39 > > >From the Bible: "You reap what you sow"...
40 > > My most sincerest hope is that we take the embedded
41 > > gentoo efforts from the the embedded gentoo handbook,
42 > > and integrate them into the regular Gentoo handbook.
43 > > The distro that does this will be king of the distros!
44 > >
45 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/
46 > >
47 > > peace,
48 > > James
49 >
50 > ack for Russell King
51
52 +1 to that too.
53
54 I'd also like to tip my hat to ARM itself - their licensing conditions
55 to build cores seems very reasonable and a good deal for a
56 manufacturer, all bases covered.
57
58 It's nice to see a chip designer not falling into the intel trap of
59 trying to rape every customer for every last cent they have!
64 > Wish my Samsung Galaxy S could have it's piece of crap Android system
65 > replaced by arm-linux -- if not it will drive me back to an iPhone.
66 >
67 > Well, idk James, but his passion is great to read!
72 Alan McKinnon
73 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com