From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Finalizing my backup system
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:14:52
1 I'm using backupninja to backup data from my laptop, desktop, and
2 remote server onto a remote desktop system. backupninja is very
3 simple and is really just an interface to a few other programs
4 including rdiff-backup. I'm not worried about a good restore method
5 for now, I want to focus on keeping it simple and protecting my data.
6 This is the first time I've set up a real backup system and I'd love
7 to get some advice from you guys. I've got a few questions.
8
9 1. This is the first time I've used passwordless SSH keys. root on
10 each system being backed up logs into the remote desktop as a normal
11 user to store the backups. Is this pretty safe? I suppose if root is
12 compromised on any of the three systems being backed up (via physical
13 access or otherwise), the remote desktop will also be compromised as a
14 normal user. Maybe that normal user should be extraordinarily
15 unprivileged?
16
17 2. backupninja can email reports. This works on my remote server
18 which runs postfix, but my laptop and desktop don't run an MTA. Is
19 there a simple one that would be well-suited to a purpose like this,
20 or do I need full-blown postfix on my laptop and desktop? Whatever I
21 choose, I'd also like to use it to send PORTAGE_ELOG messages from
22 those systems.
23
24 3. On each system I back up /etc, /home/user/backup,
25 /var/lib/portage/world, and /usr/src/linux/.config along with anything
26 special from that system. Would anyone recommend I back up anything
27 else? Some of the hidden directories in /home/user might come in
28 handy, but I think I can rebuild those without too much trouble.
29
30 4. I have 600GB of music and photos that I'd like to back up somehow,
31 but that is too much data to send to my remote desktop over my 20KB/s
32 upload. How would you handle this? I was thinking maybe two external
33 USB drives that I switch back and forth between being connected to the
34 desktop system and being stored in a fireproof/waterproof container
35 and hidden somewhere in my apartment to hopefully protect against
36 fire, flood, and theft.
37
38 5. Do I have enough redundancy with backups only being stored on one system?
39
40 6. Any ideas for backing up the remote desktop which is the system
41 where all the backups are stored? I can't back it up to my desktop or
42 laptop because I'm behind some kind of a shared IP address. I also
43 don't want to back it up to the remote server because that would
44 require SSH keys on the remote server and if the remote desktop is
45 compromised I don't want the remote server compromised along with it.
46
47 Thanks guys,
48 Grant