From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mpv upgrade warning
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 06:41:37
1 I've been updating all of my frontends recently (I only do this
2 occasionally) and discovered a major flaw with media-video/mpv and
3 figured I should warn others.
4
5 As of version 0.9.0 mpv has removed all lirc support.
6
7 Those of us stuck with older remotes (or in my case I use irexec to do
8 other things with the remote besides sending keypresses to whatever has
9 focus) there's no longer any way to control mpv any more.
10
11 Their answer is to use evdev, but I can't as I use irexec:
12
13 "Very unclean code, the inability to test it, and availability of
14 supposedly better methods." [1]
15
16 I also noticed that mplayer2 is gone from the tree, which is too bad,
17 I'd much prefer it without updates versus a player that can't be
18 controlled with a remote.
19
20 I guess I'm going to have to switch back to mplayer and hope whatever
21 issue I had with it way back when has been resolved. Or maybe just go
22 back to xbmc's internal player. I dunno.
23
24 mpv was a good player but it's going to become rather useless for quite
25 a few people.
26
27 Dan
28