From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: first water cooled system
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 20:13:41
1 Am Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2012, 19:55:30 schrieb James:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin <at> googlemail.com> writes:
3 > > are you going to blow the air in or out?
4 >
5 > Out the rear. So the 2 fans sandwich the
6 > radiator and aim outward?
7 >
8 > Also, the cpu/cooler backing supplied by Gigabyte
9 > fits well with the top bracket supplied by
10 > the cooler kit, so I'm using that in lieu
11 > of the cheap plastic back supplied with
12 > the cooler (OK?)
15 don't know - my cooler had a steel backplate and some screw-in mechanism...
16 (not a boxed water cooler).
17
18 > > hint: have the pump always run at full power but use fancontrol
19 > > to control the
20 > > fans - a lot of these pumps become pretty loud when they slow down.
21 > >
22 > > Also, set fancontrol to start the fan at something like 40°C with 65°C max
23 > > - and most of the time the fans won't even spin, reducing the noise even
24 > > more. 40, 60, 70°C won't hurt your CPU at all.
25 >
26 > The mobo has (4) fan terminals :(1) 3 wire (sysfan2)
27 > (3) four wire sysfan1, CPUfan, pwrfan.
28 > This is a dual bios system.
29
30 so connect the pump to the 3 wire, the others to the four pwm connectors.
33 > Do both fans that sandwich the radiator run
34 > at the same setting? The kit came with a "Y" so both can connected to
35 > the same 4 pin (Y) connector. The chassis fan has a 3 pin
36 > connector, but the slots do fit in the (Y) harness
37 > correctly. The (Y) is wired for all 4 pins. So
38 > will there be a separate BIOS setting (control) for the rear
39 > fan, different than the fan to the inside of the
40 > radiator? If so, what settings do I set each fan to?
43 really, get pwm (for pin) fans and connect them to the four pin connectors.
46 > It seems I have plenty of fan power/control terminals,
47 > but the mobo install book gives no guidance as to which, where....
48 > The chassis has a large fan (sysfan1 ?) for the drives, as well as the rear
49 > chassis fan(sysfan2 ?).
50 >
51 doesn't matter at all. Because you won't use the bios to drive the dans.
54 > Once I get Gentoo installed, what's the best software to monitor
55 > this cooler rig and set alarms? Auto shutoff if it overheats?
56 > (I run the system when I'm not around quite a bit)...
57 > I'd really like to know if one fan fails the other one is
58 > still working so guidance is appreciated, or just some
59 > discussion on how all of this should work.
60 > I'm presuming all of this is in the BIOS?
61
62 sensors, pwmconfig, fancontrol. No need to get the bios involved (except maybe
63 shutdown at 95°C)