From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernels & swap usage
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 13:36:17
1 Am 08.08.2012 11:33, schrieb Philip Webb:
2 > 120808 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Am 07.08.2012 07:02, schrieb Philip Webb:
4 >>> Just an observation : when I updated Libre Office & Firefox this week,
5 >>> neither compile used swap (I have 4 GB RAM);
6 >>> OTOH when I did them the previous time, both did use swap;
7 >>> the total time & the HDD usage remained almost the same.
8 >>> In between, I updated the Kernel 3.0.0 -> 3.4.0 ,
9 >>> but made no other changes in config files etc.
10 >> Did Firefox ever actually need to swap? Here it does a fair share
11 >> of disk I/O (some python script?) but never actually needs lots of memory.
12 >> With Libre Office, it could be their recent code cleaning effort.
13 >> They removed large amounts of cruft.
14 >
15 > Sorry, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough:
16 > I'm refering to the process of compiling the pkgs via Portage,
17 > not to using them after they have been installed.
18 > Both packages used noticeably less memory during the compile stage
19 > on the latest occasion in contrast to the previous Emerges.
22 No, you made yourself clear. I didn't. I meant the compiling, too.