From: Devon Miller <devon.c.miller@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kernel install fails, update-grub not found [solved]
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 01:26:46
1 Ugh what a mess. I'm posting what happened and why in case anyone else
2 stumbles into this.
3
4 I sync'd portage on Saturday. Then on yesterday I tweaked a kernel
5 config setting and grub.conf. When I tried to 'make install' I got an
6 error that update-grub was not found and would I like to make a boot
7 disk.
8
9 After much digging I tracked it down to debianutils-2.18. The
10 /sbin/mkboot it installs wants to use update-grub to modify grub.conf,
11 but debianutils-2.18 does not install update-grub.
12
13 It appears that for a brief period Saturday debianutils-2.18 was
14 released unmasked.
15
16 It's fixed now, but i spent a large chunk of yesterday tearing my hair
17 out trying to figure how I
18 screwed up the kernel (suspend2-sources) and/or grub.
19
20 Another sync will set things right with debianutils-2.18 arch masked.
21
22 dcm
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list