From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NEW idea: Kernel panics and more info
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 12:48:34
1 Mark Shields wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 >
5 > OK. New theory here. This came about in another thread about the
6 > shiney new kernel, that isn't new by the way. Anyway, look at
7 > this crap:
8 >
9 > <<< SNIP >>>
10 >
11 > Why are some using the group users and others using my test user
12 > dale2? I don't think I have a group dale2. Could this be the
13 > cause? What exactly tells Linux to give those permissions? I
14 > looked around in /etc for some file that would set this but I
15 > can't find anything.
16 >
17 > Even if this isn't the cause, how do I go about fixing this?
18 >
19 > Dale
20 >
21 > :-) :-)
24 > The group shows instead of the GID, meaning the group is most
25 > definitely on your PC. You may want to check/change your primary
26 > group for dale. You can do this with:
27 >
28 > usermod -g users dale
29 >
30 > Then update the permissions on the files:
31 >
32 > chown -vR dale:users/home/dale/*
33 >
34 > You may want to backup your home directory first.
35
36 I got it fixed and this helped a lot. I also took the backup advice to,
37 just in case. ;-)
38
39 Thanks much.
40