From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server-1.5 update/old kernel+old fglrx
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 05:55:45
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:42:43 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
7 >>> I have NEVER asked portage to keep a copy of EVERYTHING online.
8 >>>
9 >> Yet it does.
12 >>> I
13 >>> think it's a sinthat portage decides to remove files from MY machine,
14 >>> files that I'm currently using, files that I require.
15 >>>
16 >> It doesn't. It may remove files from the portage tree, but those are
17 >> not in use except when emerging. The ebuilds for your installed packages
18 >> are kept in /var/db/pkg.
21 > It does.
22 >
23 > QUESTION: Was the file /usr/portage/distfiles/xorg-server-1.1.1.tar.bz
24 > on my system?
25 > ANSWER: Yes
26 > QUESTION: After eix-sync or building xorg-server-1.5 is the file
27 > /usr/portage/distfiles/xorg-server-1.1.1.tar.bz still on my system?
28 > ANSWER: No.
29 >
30 > It does remove files. I don't know when, but they are gone.
31 >
32 > Can I go find these files somewhere? Almost certainly - in backups, in
33 > the attic, on other machines - somewhere.
34 >
35 > Should I be spending my time this way? My thought is no, but then
36 > again, that's just me. Apparently portage devs disagree and if I want
37 > to run this distro I guess it's their way or the highway. (Doesn't
38 > rhyme so well from the user's point of view, but then again, the guy
39 > getting poked in the eye by the stick isn't supposed to think it feels
40 > good, is he?)
41 >
42 > Good night. I'll come back in a few days and see if this feels any
43 > better, assuming I still have a key to the house.
44 >
45 > Thanks,
46 > Mark
51 I have never seen eix-sync or even emerge remove a file from distfiles.
52 The distfiles directory is excluded during a sync and is not changed at
53 all. There is a command, eclean, that will remove cruft from distfiles
54 but only if it is not installed on the system.
55
56 It seems to me that something is not quite right on your system. I'm
57 not sure what but something is fishy somewhere.
58
59 Dale
60