From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cron and disabling emails for one script only
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 19:58:31
1 On Tue, 06 Apr 2021 13:43:31 -0400,
2 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > Howdy,
5 >
6 > I set up a hard drive to backup my emails, world file, /etc and a couple
7 > other things.  I been doing it manually but finally set up a cron job to
8 > run it automatically.  I call it a script but some may laugh at me
9 > calling it that.  Anyway, I got cron to run it just fine.  It runs and
10 > copies it over just like it should.  I set it to do that each hour.
11 > Thing is, it sends a email every time it does it.  I don't mind a email
12 > if there is a error but don't want one if it runs successfully.  This is
13 > the cron file I set up.  It's placed in the hourly directory.
16 > #!/bin/bash
17 > /root/mail-backup > /dev/null 2>&1 || true
18 > # >/dev/null 2>&1
21 > I got a lot of hits doing a google search and the only thing I see is to
22 > direct it to /dev/null.  From examples I've seen, this should work.  I
23 > then ran across the one currently up there with true in it.  I don't
24 > understand that but tried it anyway.  It still sends emails.  I also
25 > tried the one commented out below that as well.  Still emails.
26 >
27 > Keep in mind, I do not want to disable ALL emails, just this one
28 > script.  How does one disable emails for this one cron job?  Do I have a
29 > typo or putting it in wrong place maybe?  Everything I found shows this
30 > should work but obviously I'm doing something wrong.  Again, error
31 > emails are fine.  I don't want successful runs tho.
32 >
33 > Thanks much.
34
35 I think you have to do it in your actual backup script or put the
36 whole thing in the hourly directory putting >/dev/null at the end of
37 each rsync command, but leaving off the 2>&1, so you will get error
38 messages.
41 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
42 How do
43 you spend it?
44
45 John Covici wb2una