From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Excellent Paludis interview
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:58:45
1 > > Here is an excellent interview with Ciaran McCreesh about Paludis:
2 > >
3 > > http://lab.obsethryl.eu/content/paludis-gentoo-and-ciaran-mccreesh-uncensored
4 > >
5 > Thanks for the link.
6
7 It really got the meta-wheels turning for me. I found especially
8 interesting the fact that Paludis's use on Gentoo is crippled due to
9 incompatibilities between it and Portage. This is, of course, brought
10 about by the "Portage" tree.
11
12 Also:
13
14 "What are your plans regarding the future of Paludis as a Gentoo
15 related technology should Paludis for various reason reach the event
16 horizon of being able to provide a completely new GNU/Linux
17 Distribution both in the technical and social framework meaning of the
18 term?"
19
20 "I don't have a problem with supporting multiple distributions with
21 Paludis. I know that a couple of people are using Paludis for small,
22 internal-use-only distributions where they need things that Gentoo
23 can't deliver. Supporting other distributions or formats doesn't mean
24 dropping Gentoo or ebuilds."
25
26 And:
27
28 "Or is there interest in creating from scratch a distribution based
29 entirely on Paludis?"
30
31 "I've heard a rumour that some people are experimenting with a
32 replacement tree that uses functionality offered by Paludis but not
33 Portage (not so much to create a Paludis-based distribution as to
34 create a better tree that Portage could theoretically support at some
35 point). But there's nothing open to the public just now."
36
37 - Grant
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list