From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] create an installable custom distro with gentoo?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:57:27
1 Hello
2
3 On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 11:16:58PM +0000, b.n. wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I have looked a bit for this but I've found nothing.
7 > I'd like to create an installable disk ready-to-install on another old, low
8 > specs machine that cannot bear a Gentoo install by itself.
9 >
10 > The logic would be:
11 > - create a chroot environment
12 > - install a subgentoo in it
13 > - emerge the needed sw in the subgentoo, tweak etc.
14 > - create an installable medium <--???
15 > - install on the old box
16 >
17 > The "installable" needs not to be complete... I can install Grub by myself
18 > on the box, for example, and just copy the files of the subgentoo on the
19 > partitions.
20 >
21 > However I'd like to see some tutorial/advice/whatever about it.
22
23 This is not exactly what you have asked for, but I did install this way
24 on an old machine (1.5GB disc, 48MB ram) and it worked. You need to:
25
26 • Get some space for swap and create partitions
27 • Unpack the stage tarball (preferably stage3)
28 • Install nfs
29 (that time, I had to compile kernel for it, but I hope the today
30 livecd has one nfs-capable).
31 • Install distcc
32
33 Now you can mount /var remotely (portage compiles there and needs lots
34 of space) - this way you need only the space for installed programs, not
35 compiling and compile on other machine using distcc. It is more or less
36 install the usual way, but with a great help of other computer by
37 network. The advantage is, you can keep updating the system the same
38 way.
39
40 Have a nice day
43 This is a terroristic email. It will explode in 10 minutes,
44 if you do not close it in the meantime.
45
46 Michal "vorner" Vaner