From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 23:41:36
1 On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't need to be worried, that this will happen with Gentoo either
4 > anytime soon?
5
6 What? That we'll take a vote that some anti-systemd folks won't like?
7 It has already happened - package maintainers aren't permitted to
8 revert additions of systemd units, or openrc scripts, or whatever
9 runit/upstart/etc uses to their packages. Developers threatened to
10 quit over that one, but in the end everybody probably realized that
11 distros would be chaos if every package maintainer could dictate what
12 selection of other packages were available in the repository, and I
13 doubt we lost anybody in the end.
14
15 Gentoo is about choice. As long as people write openrc scripts and
16 maintain openrc, you'll be able to use it.
17
18 So, I don't know if that makes you more or less worried, but nothing
19 has really changed in the last year on the systemd front. The next
20 big change is likely to be virtualizing openrc so that it can be
21 uninstalled, and possibly not including it in the stage3, but that
22 hasn't really even been seriously discussed. (Virtualizing it seems
23 almost certain to happen (IMHO) once the blockers are fixed, removing
24 it may or may not happen, and probably isn't all that important,
25 though I'd argue that people running chroots or containers might not
26 want an init implementation inside.)
29 Rich