From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Marc Blumentritt <marc.blumentritt@×××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best way to copy /* ?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 05:04:23
1 On 12/27/2010 10:20 AM, Marc Blumentritt wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have bought myself a Christmas present, a new shiny hard disk. Now I
5 > want to copy my old Gentoo system to my new disk like this:
6 >
7 > 1.) boot with gentoo boot cd
8 > 2.) mount my old system ind /old ( / in one partition, /home, /usr,
9 > /var, /tmp and /opt in lvm2 volumes and /boot on it's own partition)
10 > 3.) mount my new disk ind /new (just 2 partitions, 1 for / and 1 for /boot)
11 > 4.) copy from /old to /new
12 > 5.) modify fstab and prepare grub
13 > 6.) reboot
14 >
15 > Concerning step 4: what is the best copy command?
16 > I tried with
17 >
18 > cp -a /old/* /new
19
20 This should have gotten the permissions right; -a implies
21 --preserve=all. Not sure what happened there.
22
23 The tar method you're looking for is:
24
25 tar -C /old cpf - | tar -C /new xvpf -
26
27 You'll probably not want to do the entire / in a single go,
28 since /proc, /sys, and /dev (at least) should be skipped.
29 Copy /old/sbin -> /new/sbin, etc. for all of the root
30 folders that aren't their own partitions. The rest you can
31 do the entire mount point at once, though I'm not sure you
32 really need to copy /tmp either.
33
34 You can also use rsync, dump/restore, and probably a dozen
35 other tools to make this work. Google for "backup entire
36 hard disk" and start reading :)
37
38 --Mike