From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 02:28:35
1 On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM, <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi, guys
3 >
4 > It is a shame, I know, but after several years using Gentoo, it is the first
5 > time I try to build a kernel without "genkernel".
6 >
7 > And now I can't boot to that new kernel, it does not find (and really do not
8 > have a) /dev/sda* root partition ("real-root"); during the boot it stops,
9 > complaining about that, gives me the option to get a shell, from which I am
10 > able to see that there is no /dev/sda* .
11 >
12 > I have included everything SATA, so it looks like that is not a kernel
13 > problem, but a initramfs issue, I guess.
14 >
15 > What am I missing?
16 >
17 > Thanks a lot
18 > Francisco
19 >
20 > P.S.: my boot partition is sda2, sda3 is a swap partition, and everything
21 > else is in sda4. sda1 is not used (up to now) and this is my grub.conf :
22 >
23 > title Gentoo Linux 2.6.39-gentoo-r3
24 > root (hd0,1)
25 > kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.39-gentoo-r3 ro root=/dev/ram0
26 > init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/sda4 vga=0x318 video=uvesafb:1024x768-32
27 > nodevfs udev devfs=nomount quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
28 > initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.39-gentoo-r3
29
30 Maybe I'm missing the obvious here but have you taken a copy of
31 whatever config file was used/generated by genkernel and used that as
32 a jumping off point for building your own kernel. kernel's a kernel's
33 a kernel. What it is capable of doing is in the .config file. If
34 genkernel doesn't give you a .config file - I've never used genkernel
35 so I don't know what it does - then assuming you have the feature
36 turned on you can get the running config using zcat /proc/config.gz.
37 Save that to a new .config file, put it in the kernel source directory
38 and you should be good to go.
39
40 You can also use zcat /proc/config.gz on the install CD kernel if yuo
41 boot from that. Save it to a disk and use it as the basis for creating
42 your own config.
43
44 HTH,
45 Mark