From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mmx use flag on Pentium 4
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 04:18:05
1 On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 11:10:35PM +0100, Jonathan Wright wrote
2
3 > however since that version -mcpu has been depreciated in favor for -mtune.
4
5 I use -march, so that point is moot.
6
7 > As for the mmx information, that's valid across all gcc versions. If
8 > you specify -march=pentium4 and -mcpu=pentium4 as part of your
9 > CFLAGS, -mmmx and -msse, etc., will be implied by the compiler,
10 > and any programs built to take advantage of the extensions will be
11 > able to do so.
12
13 The docs for 3.4.X are a lot more detailed than 3.3.X docs. 3.3.6
14 docs say that -march implies -mcpu but don't say in so many words that
15 certain values of -march imply -sse, etc.
16
17 While we're talking about compilers and sparse documentation, I've got
18 an AMD64 K8. The docs for an AMD64-bit install scared me off to 32-bit
19 land. Later I found out that the 64-bit install docs are out-of-date
20 and the problems they mention seem to have been solved. However, since
21 I have things humming along, I don't really want to tear my install down
22 and rebuild from scratch. One question... I'm running
23 > CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=athlon -m3dnow -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse"
24
25 Is there a way to figure out if I can use a higher version of Athlon
26 in my CFLAGS line in 32-bit mode?
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
31 --