From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:21:48
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Friday 27 August 2010 11:49:00 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Hmmm, I use resierfs for my file systems, most of them anyway. I still
7 >> use e2fsprogs to change those?
8 >>
9 > Nope:
10 > eve ~ # reiserfstune --help
11 > reiserfstune: unrecognized option '--help'
12 > reiserfstune: Usage: reiserfstune [options] device [block-count]
16 > -j | --journal-device file current journal device
17 > --journal-new-device file new journal device
18 > -o | --journal-new-offset N new journal offset in blocks
19 > -s | --journal-new-size N new journal size in blocks
20 > -t | --trans-max-size N new journal max transaction size in blocks
21 > --no-journal-available current journal is not available
22 > --make-journal-standard new journal to be standard
23 > -b | --add-badblocks file add to bad block list
24 > -B | --badblocks file set the bad block list
25 > -u | --uuid UUID|random set new UUID
26 > -l | --label LABEL set new label
27 > -f | --force force tuning, less confirmations
28 > -V print version and exit
29 >
30 > IOW (as example):
31 > reiserfstune -l ROOTDISK /dev/hda1
34 >> Is there a way to boot a Gentoo/Knoppix CD and make it use the PATA
35 >> drivers? That way I can boot it and see exactly how it will name them
36 >> and what drive is what without actually changing anything at all. Is
37 >> there a boot option "noide" or some other switch I can use?
38 >>
39 > Afraid not.
40 > The naming scheme is, officially, not constant and can change with reboots.
41 >
42 > On my server, with hotswap, I get different device-names when I remove a disk
43 > and plug it back in.
44 > Eg. /dev/sdb -> /dev/sdj
45 > (as example)
46 > Don't think you'll have that particular issue, but having these names change
47 > between reboots is possible. Especially if a drive fails and is not found
48 > during boot or a new drive is added.
49 >
50 > Not tested, but I believe USB-drives might also get pushed into the mix?
51 >
52 > --
53 > Joost
58 I do know the USB stuff changes but I wasn't sure about the others. I
59 would think the main drives in a system would come first but one could
60 never make that promise. I'm giving serious thought to using the
61 labels. It would also mean that I don't have to remember what partition
62 is what. Currently I would mount and then list what is in the directory
63 to see what is in it and figure out what it is. With the labels
64 feature, even fdisk would tell me what is what.
65
66 This would be a good time to move the OS to a new drive. If things work
67 out, run from the new drive. If things blow up, boot the old drive with
68 the old kernel, old fstab and other settings.
69
70 Thanks.
71
72 Dale