From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Enabling mmx USE flag on a Pentium 4 HTT?
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:56:47
1 On Dec 21, 2007 7:10 PM, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:25:40 -0700 "Jonathan Haws"
4 > <Jonathan.Haws@×××××××.edu> wrote:
5 > > This is a really stupid question I know, but I want some second
6 > > opinions:
10 > > Should the mmx global USE flag be enabled on a Pentium 4 machine and
11 > > why or why not?
12 >
13 > Yes, it should. (Multimedia) programs that support it, e.g. mplayer or
14 > gimp, will use it.
17 > Cheers,
18 > Renat
19 >
20 > --
21 > Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
22 > durch die sie entstanden sind.
23 > (Einstein)
27 If I remember correctly, flags like this are not recommended to enable. GCC
28 can already pass the appropriate flags, such as MMX and SSE, to programs
29 when compiling; the fact that this ebuild has optional use flags for this
30 setting is a red flag, in my opinion. I would recommend researching
31 possible problems you may have before building any programs with the MMX use
32 flag.
33 --
34 - Mark Shields