From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mammoth emerge ...
Date: Thu, 03 May 2018 14:58:57
1 OK, I know my laptop is quite old, or at least Intel thinks so, but emerging
2 chromium is now taking *much* longer than it ever did:
3
4 Tue Apr 24 11:55:49 2018 >>> www-client/chromium-66.0.3359.117
5 merge time: 1 day, 16 minutes and 28 seconds.
6
7 I'm currently emerging chromium-66.0.3359.139, which I will be surprised if it
8 takes less time. Six months ago or so I went through a patch where a chromium
9 emerge would chew up all of my 4G RAM and then start thrashing the swap
10 partition (4.2G) endlessly. At some point I had to set up a secondary swap
11 space, because chromium would fail to emerge when swap ran out. In addition I
12 started limiting the number of jobs (max and average) to stop it consuming all
13 my memory.
14
15 Since a couple of versions ago I no longer needed to use any of these manual
16 interventions. Now chromium emerges without consuming all my RAM and hardly
17 any swap either. However, as you can see above it takes more than a day(!) to
18 complete. In a comparison a quad-core AMD which compiles wholly in RAM,
19 emerged the last version in 8 hours, 53 minutes and 41 seconds.
20
21 Is there anything I can do with the existing laptop and its limited resources
22 to speed up chromium's emerge?
25 Regards,
26 Mick