From: Franz Fellner <alpine.art.de@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rust problem when upgrading Firefox
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 09:38:43
1 My "other advice" would be to simply use rust-bin.
2
3 Am Di., 16. Okt. 2018 um 11:25 Uhr schrieb Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
4
5 > On Monday, 15 October 2018 19:49:59 BST Philip Webb wrote:
6 > > 181015 Dale wrote:
7 > > > Just curious, did you notice this little part?
8 > > > "LLVM ERROR: IO failure on output stream: No space left on device"
9 > > > You may want to make sure you are not out of disk space
10 > > > wherever your tmp directory is or out of ram if you use tmpfs.
11 > >
12 > > Yes, I did, as I said, & added 2 lines to 'package.env'.
13 > > That solved that problem, which was surprising :
14 > > my explanation is that FF itself is too big to use 'tmpfs'
15 > > & this then squeezes out any other pkgs to be compiled along with it,
16 > > even a tiny virtual. Otherwise, the 1st problem was USE flags.
17 > >
18 > > The new FF requires some very big items, which took a long time to
19 > emerge :
20 > > Rust (59), Clang (11), Llvm (15), FF (33) : total 118 min .
21 > > The total download was c 500 MB . LO is modest in comparison.
22 > >
23 > > Now to get some groceries, then I'll try it out.
24 > > The big question is whether I can still group tabs,
25 > > whether directly with FF or via some add-on (whatever they're now
26 > called).
27 > >
28 > > Thanks for offering a bit of help.
29 >
30 > I've noticed the same both in terms of the dependencies now being drawn in
31 > and
32 > in terms of how much RAM the compile consumes. On systems with low RAM I
33 > set
34 > lower MAKEOPTS jobs and average values and add plenty of swap. This keeps
35 > emerge in check and stops it from swapping in and out continuously
36 > thrashing
37 > the disk.
38 >
39 > More than a year ago I'd noticed similar uncontrolled consumption of
40 > resources
41 > by emerge on Chromium. Interestingly a few versions later something must
42 > have
43 > changed (some hardware limit checks added by devs?) and Chromium became
44 > much
45 > less hungry for resources.
46 > --
47 > Regards,