From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fdisk warnings during install; questions
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 12:10:38
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 10 May 2013 06:09:25 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I myself still use fdisk whenever I can. I know I should change, I
5 >>> know it would be good, but I'm an old fart and mostly can't be
6 >>> arsed :-)
7 >
8 >> I'm with ya Alan. Update tho. I use LVM. I use grub2 since a week or
9 >> so ago. That's a lot for me.
10 >
11 > It's not about whether you use fdisk or gdisk, they are almost identical
12 > in use, it's about the type of partition table you use. If you like the
13 > idea of a partition table that only accepts four partitions, has to be
14 > kludged to use one of those as a container if you want more, has no
15 > simple way of backing up such a complex partition setup and has no
16 > redundancy in case of partition table corruption, fdisk and DOS are
17 > perfect for you :)
18 >
19 > DOS partition tables should have died out 30 years ago, we know who we
20 > have to thank for their continued existence...
24 Well, when I bought my 3Tb drive, I had to use GPT. Yea, I had to
25 figure it out but it ain't the end of the world. I think I used cgdisk
26 since I usually use cfdisk. They are a lot alike is one reason I used
27 it. If I ever replace a drive, I'll likely use cgdisk for it too. Sort
28 of slowly switch over as I can. My worry is forgetting which I used
29 which on. In a way, I wish I could switch them all since cgdisk makes
30 it so easy. Also, since I use LVM, I think I just made two partitions.
31 For some reason, I couldn't get it to see just one large partition. LVM
32 combined the two together for me tho. I still scratch my head on that
33 one tho. I have not used the backup part of cgdisk either.
34
35 I realize things change, some for the better, but sometimes it needs to
36 be changed when I really don't want to spend the time doing it. It took
37 me a bit to figure out LVM but I did it on my time frame and wasn't
38 rushed, just confused at first. Same with grub2 but I still got some
39 things I want to do but it does OK. I'm still wanting to redo my disks
40 and have a /boot partition big enough to have sysrescue and such there
41 and also the memtest thing too. Not enough space for sysrescue and
42 can't get it to see memtest to put it in the menu. May start a thread
43 on that one day.
44
45 As long as I can spend the time learning it and not be rushed, I can
46 generally deal with it, mostly. ;-)
47
48 In the OP's case, maybe he isn't ready to deal with it. Maybe he has
49 another reason not to use GPT. Maybe all he needs is the basics of fdisk?
50
51 Dale
52
56 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
57 how you interpreted my words!