From: Teru Yuu <wiat3r@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Raspberry Pi 400?
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 23:30:21
1 On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 11:11:52AM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 >Morning all,
3 >
4 >I've just bought an rpi 400, which is a nice little machine, and I'm wondering
5 >whether anyone has managed to install Gentoo on one. I've tried a couple of
6 >bootable images for other models, but they can't boot. I get some debug output
7 >but it means nothing to me.
8 >
9 >According to this site, the 400's boot process differs from other models':
10 >
11 >https://support.thepihut.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015131057-My-Raspberry-Pi-400-will-not-boot-is-faulty
12 >
13 >Any ideas?
14 >
15 >--
16 >Regards,
17 >Peter.
18
19 As long as you boot into any system, you will be able to install gentoo.
20 For rpi4 I used alpine linux (mainly because it already had write-up
21 on wiki for headless boot with sshd enabled) and from there it was
22 fairly regular gentoo install (except for compiling toolchain on desktop
23 via crossdev to speed it up).
24
25 I even left bootloader that came in alpine tarball, just overwrote it
26 with gentoo kernel, initframs and changed cmdline config.
27 Give alpine a go as a boot medium, if that doesn't work you can always
28 use official raspbian instead, which is guaranteed to boot on Pi400.
29
30 Regards,
31 Teru