From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 15:18:20
1 On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 5:09 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Vladimir Romanov <blueboar2@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> Well, what's the problem? When i do this, then i just install debian, xen
5 >> kernel, then create some config, download gentoo install cd, run it, and
6 >> follow the handbook.
7 >
8 > How do you run the installer CD in a PV VM? It's not like you could
9 > just boot it, or can you?
12 Correct. I don't believe our install CDs are xen-enabled. You would
13 need to boot from another environment, or install the files from
14 outside of the xen environment. When I'm installing Gentoo on ec2 now
15 I typically just boot any convenient EMI, mount an EBS image, extract
16 a stage3, then install/configure a xen-enabled kernel.
17
18 I haven't done an EC2 install in a while but I do have a .config that
19 used to work lying around. I believe most of the instructions are on
20 my blog as well - probably one of the more visited pages as it is
21 probably helpful for getting any distro working on EC2/Xen.
24 Rich