From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and kernel developers cooperating to turn it into a global cgroup manager?
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:03:12
1 On 10/17/2013 11:27 PM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 > https://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/200-libby-clark/733595-all-about-the-linux-kernel-cgroups-redesign
3 >
4 > Not sure if I read that just right... but since nobody is doing cgroup
5 > management besides systemd, in practice the cgroups implementation in
6 > Linux wasn't very consistent. So since systemd is doing it, their work
7 > is helping shape the kernel's cgroups api?
8 >
9 > Interesting...
12 From my perspective it looks like systemd developers are trying to push
13 their ideas into the kernel, almost like they intend to merge systemd
14 *with* the kernel. If systemd is the only implementation of cgroups and
15 their developers are working on cgroup support in the kernel, it spells
16 calamity given their history of evangelism and zealotry.
17
18 I truly wish I understood why a single userland program and its
19 developers are being given the keys to an entire subsystem of the
20 kernel. Their changes to udev have proven to be a headache for users,
21 and the kernel is held to a much higher standard of stability and
22 interoperability. In addition, the top-level developers of systemd (and
23 GNOME, and the now-deprecated consolekit/polkit/udisks/etc) are employed
24 by a for-profit company (Red Hat), which has a vested interest in
25 shaping Linux as a platform. They and other corporations cannot be
26 trusted with stuff like this...
27
28 I'd like to see what Linus has to say about this if/when he finds out.
29 He's not impressed with Sievers or Poettering. Personally I'd like to
30 see them ostracized from the community and contained to their own
31 distro, where they belong.