From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kdm 4.2.2 not configurable?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:44:23
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org> wrote:
3 But now when KDM start I get half a
4 >> screen of garbage on the left half of the left monitor and on the right
5 >> half of the right monitor.
6 >
7 > KDM does the same for me on a wide-screen monitor. In fact it could be
8 > a security risk because after logging out of KDE, random pieces of
9 > screen from the last session sometimes show up on the garbage parts on
10 > the sides, including potentially sensitive information. It does not
11 > appear to support any kind of screen size detection. What you need to
12 > do is find (or make) a theme that is the same size/aspect ratio as
13 > your display setup and then it'll be okay. It's trying to use a 4:3
14 > theme on a 8:3 or 16:9 or whatever and apparently the KDM people
15 > haven't gotten around to dealing with that yet.
16
17 For now, I simply edited kdmrc and set UseTheme to false.
18
19 Still haven't figured out how to use System Settings, Advanced, Login
20 Manager. Can't get anything to be enabled for editing. I've tried:
21
22 * chmod -R 755 the config directories (/usr/share/config &
23 /usr/kde/4.2/share/config)
24
25 * reset the config files with: genkdmconf --no-old
26
27 The ownership of the conf files is root:root, so am thinking the
28 permissions should be 775, but I've found multiple sources that state
29 the perms should be 755, which would make since if I had an Admin button
30 like they refer to. Maybe a sudo setup or something...
31
32 Thank you,
33 Roy