From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:25:08
1 On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Michael Mol wrote:
5 >>>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
6 >>>> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>>> Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:34:12 schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
8 >>>>>> OK, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did search for it using make
9 >>>>>> menuconfig, but could not actually find it! I have all my usb host
10 >>>>>> controller drivers as modules, if that makes any difference. I am using
11 >>>>>> 3.4.0-gentoo.
12 >>>>> hit / in menuconfig. It is there.
13 >>>> Although I do believe you need to remove the CONFIG_ prefix before you search.
14 >>>>
15 >>> Also, there are also other options that must be turned on for it to show
16 >>> up. I had to enable other things before I could find it in the menu.
17 >>> This is another reason I asked the question on whether it is really
18 >>> needed or not. It wasn't just one thing I had to enable but a couple
19 >>> other things too. I'm still not sure I need either of those but . . .
20 >> You do, for the same reason you need electricity; you may not use
21 >> electricity directly, but something you use does.
22 >>
23 >> Similarly, you may not need this config option, but something you use
24 >> does (or something you use uses something you use which does).
25 >>
26 >> Further, the config option won't be available unless all of the things
27 >> _it_ uses are enabled. So, if this config option X isn't available
28 >> because it needs config option Y, you need config option Y, because
29 >> you need config option X, because you need udisks, because you need
30 >> something which needs udisks.
31 >>
32 >> So if some option X says "don't enable this unless you need it", and
33 >> you need some option Z, which says it needs option X, then, yes, you
34 >> need option X, because you need option Z.
35 >>
36 >> This is what Volker meant when he said that there was no 'unsure' at
37 >> play. Since you're sure you want udisk (because you installed it),
38 >> then, logically following, you're sure you want whatever udisk depends
39 >> on. (Either that, or you're not being logical. ^^ )
43 > But, I was still unsure. If it wants me to enable the option for
44 > battery monitoring, do I do that too? I don't have any batteries but it
45 > wants the option enabled so to use your logic, I must need it because it
46 > asks for it even tho I don't use it and can't use it.
47
48 When it comes to software, even if you don't actively use a thing, you
49 may depend on it being there. The reasons involved could come from any
50 of dozens of programming issues you may be unaware of or uncaring of;
51 it could come from the need of a programmer to simplify his reasoning
52 about a system in order to simplify his code (or the problem his code
53 is trying to solve). It could come from some automatic linking process
54 that looks for a symbol even if the function that symbol represents is
55 never called in practice. It could come from some indirect artifact of
56 the thing being there.
57
58 You're trying to apply a holistic reasoning basis to a deterministic
59 dependency problem. That kind of logic is the same kind of logic that
60 leads to stories such as "but why won't you plug in your computer?"
61 "because it makes a lot of noise. Why won't my computer work?"
62 "Because it needs power, so you need to plug it in." "But it makes a
63 lot of noise."
64
65 Apologies for the crass analogy, but it really is the same thing, just
66 at a different technical depth.
69 :wq