From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot failure using root=LABEL=RAID1root but not LABEL=RAID6root
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:40:28
1 On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Bruce Hill
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 02:09:35PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I don't know if you're right but it makes sense. If I need e2label to
6 >> read labels from the CLI then I probably need all the same stuff in
7 >> the initramfs which this one doesn't have.
8 >>
9 >> The problem I have with that idea is that all I put in the RAID6 which
10 >> does have an initramfs is e2fsck, not e2label or anything else.
11 >> However maybe e2fsck has that capability and that's why it's working?
12 >>
13 >> Good catch!
14 >>
15 >> Thanks, and best wishes for the new year and a safe New Year's eve to all.
16 >>
17 >> Cheers,
18 >> Mark
19 >
20 > I've deleted your OP (sorry), but also, the kernel autodetects RAID using
21 > metadata 0.90 superblocks, but not 1.2 superblock (seems your output had some
22 > of each?).
23 > --
24
25 Hi Bruce,
26 Yes, in the first and older Gentoo build I'm letting the kernel
27 autodetect RAID1 to find /. That's the install that does NOT work
28 mounting by label.
29
30 In the second install I use an initramfs, / is on a RAID6 and is
31 not autodetected. Rather I assemble the RAID6 within the initramfs
32 using mdadm --assemble ####. The initramfs has both e2fsck & mdadm so
33 it's able to assemble the RAID. It's also able to mount by label
34 without any problems.
35
36 Joost is suggesting that there might have been a thread earlier
37 this year that said you must use an initramfs to mount by label, but I
38 cannot find any grub documentation that supports that, and so far have
39 not discovered the thread he's remembering.
40
41 HTH, and thanks!
42 Mark