From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] locale issue to clean up
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:17:11
1 On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Check in your /etc/make.conf file and see if you have !some! of this:
5 >
6 > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
7 > VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
8 > LINGUAS="en"
9 > LANG="en_US"
10 > LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
11 > SANE_BACKENDS="hp"
12 > NUT_DRIVERS="cyberpower"
13 > ALSA_CARDS="emu10k1"
14 > CAMERAS="canon"
15 > LCD_DEVICES=""
16 > APACHE2_MODULES=""
17 >
18 > Keep in mind, your settings may vary from mine but some may need to be
19 > just like mine. Also, if you do a emerge -pv <package-name>, it will
20 > show what options are on and also what is available to use if nothing is
21 > set. Not all packages will use those settings so don't be concerned if
22 > it doesn't show them on those.
23 >
24 > Hope that helps.
25 >
26 > Dale
27 >
28 > :-) :-)
33 There seems to be something else going on here. I've made the changes
34 you suggested - they make sense. I've rerun locale-gen. man locale
35 suggests locale -a as a way to look at what's set up as public. That
36 command demonstrates the problem pretty clearly I think, and I suspect
37 your machine doesn't act the same way:
38
39 lightning ~ # locale -a
40 locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
41 locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
42 locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
43 C
44 POSIX
45 lightning ~ # locale
46 locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
47 locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
48 locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
49 LANG=en_US
50 LC_CTYPE="en_US"
51 LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
52 LC_TIME="en_US"
53 LC_COLLATE="en_US"
54 LC_MONETARY="en_US"
55 LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
56 LC_PAPER="en_US"
57 LC_NAME="en_US"
58 LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
59 LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
60 LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
61 LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
62 LC_ALL=
63 lightning ~ #
64
65 I'm wondering if I really do need to add more stuff to my 02locale
66 environment file. Possibly it got messed up during some update?
67
68 lightning ~ # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
69 LANG=en_US
70 lightning ~ #
71
72 If anyone (everyone!) has a machine that acts better on the above
73 commands could you post back the contents of the 02locale file? This
74 Gentoo page suggests I might want to edit it:
75
76 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
77
78 so I tried adding the LC_CTYPE=en_US to it but that didn't fix
79 anything. It says a directory is missing. What directory?
80
81 k3b still generates the warning message even after a reboot. I suspect
82 it won't go away until I find the solution to running the locale
83 command above.
84
85 Thanks,
86 Mark