From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wiping the old root without killing the new root
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:30:11
1 On 03/17 05:45, Nils Freydank wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 17. März 2017, 17:24:27 CET schrieb tuxic@××××××.de:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Finally I moved to my new root and it seems to be $HOME
6 > > enough to wiupe the old root.
7 >
8 > > The old root is on a separate partition to which I will move
9 > > the contents of the new root after wiping the new root.
10 > => I would just unmount the partition and wipe it on FS level (i.e. running
11 > mkfs with some kind of --force parameter). Another way would running find to
12 > find and remove symlinks, but putting that one together and removing files
13 > after could consume more time than mkfs ;)
14 >
15 > > May be the following question is born from to much worry, but...
16 > >
17 > > First I thought: Mount the old root to a certain mountpoint
18 > > somewhere, cd into it (as root) and do a rm -rf....
19 > BTW, avoid "rm -rf /" (yes, I know, there are DAU checks now) on UEFI systems,
20 > because they tend to mount essential stuff rw and don???t like deletion of
21 > stuff.
22 >
23 > > [...]
24 >
25 > Greetings,
26 > Nils
27 >
28 > --
29 > GPG fingerprint: '00EF D31F 1B60 D5DB ADB8 31C1 C0EC E696 0E54 475B'
30 > Nils Freydank
34 Hi Nils.
35
36 Thanks for your reply! :)
37
38 And especially for the warning regarding UEFI systems! 8)
39
40 Will try mkfs...
41
42 Cheers