From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about online database of files per pkg
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 22:44:39
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 26/08/2015 00:13, Harry Putnam wrote:
3 >> Not doing too well with google on this...
4 >>
5 >> Can anyong direct me to a database for gentoo where one can find
6 >> out which tools/files go with which pkg.
10 > As far as I know, there's no such thing. On Ubuntu when you install
11 > firefox, you get an exact list of files that is the same for everyone.
12 > On Gentoo when you install firefox, the list of files you get depends on
13 > USE and whether the dev did any tweaks to the ebuild today.
14 >
15 > There's been some efforts at making such a database, for example
16 > http://www.portagefilelist.de
17 > but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Maybe another project has picked
18 > up the ball but I don't know of any.
19 >
20 > This is not such a big problem as it might appear. If you are familiar
21 > with the Gentoo base system it's usually obvious what package will give
22 > you the file. The exception is basic utilities like cut and head and
23 > tail. They are not tin their own package but in a big utility one, maybe
24 > it's coreutils maybe it's util-linux. I avoid the problem by always
25 > installing both :-)
26 >
27 > Fo9r the rare case where you really can't figure it out, you can always
28 > ask here for someone with the file to equery it and find where it came from.
33 I use that site, I also run the program that uploads that info, but I to
34 find it not always helpful. For Gentoo, there is just to much that can
35 change from one system to another based on settings/configs. I'm not
36 aware of anyone else trying to do this. Sadly.
37
38 On those occasions where someone asks what belongs to something, I
39 always do a search here and if I have the info, I reply with it. It's
40 likely about the easiest help a person can provide.
41
42 Dale
43