From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:28:50
1 Sorry for entering others' dialog...
2
3 On 17.02.2014 21:13, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 > On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 6:17 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > [snip]
6 >>>> Can you surgically remove systemd in the future without reverse
7 >>>> engineering
8 >>>> half of what the LSB would look at the time, or will its developers
9 >>>> ensure
10 >>>> that this is a one time choice only?
13 >>> You guys talk about software like if it was a big bad black magical
14 >>> box with inexplicable powers.
15 >>>
16 >>> If someone is willing and able, *everything* can be "surgically
17 >>> remove[d]". We got rid of devfs, remember? We got rid of OSS (thank
18 >>> the FSM for ALSA). We got rid of HAL (yuck!). GNOME got rid of bonobo,
19 >>> and ESD. KDE got rid of aRts (and who knows what more).
22 >> I think you are being a little disingenuous here.
23 >
24 > I am not.
25 >
26 >> The obvious unspoken meaning behind the 'can you surgically remove' was:
27 >>
28 >> Can you do it *easily*? I'm sure you would not suggest that getting rid of
29 >> the above were 'easy'?
30 >
31 > I've never said it was easy. I said it could be done by someone
32 > willing and able. I repeated that like five times I think. I said it
33 > was done before; I never said it was easy.
34
35 The whole point of creating new software is making things easier. Easier
36 to use, easier to maintain, easier to remove.
37
38 > But it can be done, and that's a indisputable fact.
39
40 A total ground-up rewrite of the whole Linux is also quite possible.
41
42 >> It simply doesn't matter if systemd boils down to one monolithic binary, or
43 >> 600, if they are tied together in such a way that they can not
44 >> *individually* be replaced *easily and simply* (ie, without having to
45 >> rewrite the whole of systemd).
46 >
47 > You are setting a group of conditions that preemptively wants to stop
48 > adoption of anything that is tightly integrated. That is a losing
49 > strategy (different projects actually *want* tight integration), and
50 > besides the burden of work should not fall on the people wanting to
51 > use a tightly integrated stack.
52
53 How Integrated? The TCP/IP stack *is* integrated. But it is *protocol*
54 integration, *standards* integration not *software* integration. You do
55 want tight integration where it just can't work otherwise, but the
56 design of Unix provides (well, again repeating this), and almost any
57 robust design should provide, the ignorance of one abstraction level
58 about another. Why HAL? Why udev? Why drivers as modules? Why not just
59 go and integrate all stuff into the kernel, well (again!) like MS do,
60 and don't please say I compare wrong things just because MS is not OSS.
61
62 > You want individual modules that are "easily and simply" replaced?
63 > Then WROTE THEM. Don't expect the systemd authors (or any other) to do
64 > it for you.
65
66 We really don't expect that systemd's authors do anything for us.
67 Anything they do is not for us, thanks.
68
69 >> That said, it seems to me that, for now at least, it isn't that big a deal
70 >> to switch back and forth between systemd and, for example, OpenRC.
71
72 "For now" it's not, but take a look into the future when not a single
73 product will be published without systemd's support, just because it's
74 everywhere -- and since it's everywhere, then why bother support
75 anything other? Time, money... So it's a matter of time -- you'll
76 personally be happy with this scenario -- at first -- but think
77 further... They'll be able to stuff everything into it, making
78 effectively a thing in itself which will dictate you where to go and
79 what to do, just because you're not technically competent enough to deal
80 with it -- hence more support calls and more $ etc etc. I don't believe
81 in Red Hat's being a corporation of Good, nor any other corporation
82 being such, and please remember the notorious examples of almost
83 privatizing OSS by other 'corporations of Good'. (Android, MySQL, almost
84 OpenOffice...)
85 Well, there's some probability that by the time systemd occupies all
86 linux distros, some clever RH guy (or a green soxx guy) will emerge and
87 emerge systemd v2 which will be different ... But it's not something one
88 should count on.
89
90 > [...]
91 > If *someone*, *willing* AND *able* steps up to do ALL that work, MAYBE
92 > it would happen.
93 >
94 > But don't complain if no one does, and it doesn't.
95
96 That's your point -- and mine. We aren't complaining -- we want to
97 prevent this. The forward-looking people must unite, it may sound
98 ridiculous, against systemd -- not because of its design, technical
99 details etc, but because otherwise in short time you'll end up comparing
100 systemd to itself. You know what it is: everything's free but nothing to
101 choose from. We had it before, it's called communism. Maybe it is not
102 that bad but we don't want it anymore.
103
104 > Regards.
108 Best wishes,
109 Yuri K. Shatroff