From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup questions
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 17:00:35
1 Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 10/08/18 10:46, Dale wrote:
3 >> Wols Lists wrote:
4 >>> On 08/08/18 04:43, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Howdy,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I just bought two external drive enclosures. One is sort of a spare but
8 >>>> ....
9 >>>> It has power.  I'm not sure where I'd put a fridge, even a tiny one.  I
10 >>>> wish it was twice as big as it is.  Of course, I'd fill that up in no
11 >>>> time too.  Isn't that the way it works?  ROFL
12 >>>>
13 >>>> I'm getting interesting ideas tho.  Pondering that backup software
14 >>>> option too.  It has its pluses.  ;-)
15 >>>>
16 >>>> Thanks.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Dale
19 >>>>
20 >>>> :-)  :-)
21 >>>>
22 > I would think the cost of setting it up and running a fridge would add
23 > up to hard drive cost over a couple of years anyway (at least for what
24 > we pay in Western Australia :)  In a humid environment you would need to
25 > be very careful of condensation, and a sealed system will still need a
26 > way to transfer the heat as if the cooling fails, it will cook itself
27 > very fast
28
29 I actually have a couple of those really small fridges that I could
30 use.  I have one in the house that I store seeds in.  The problem is
31 space.  The little out building is pretty full.  There is no shelf space
32 and very little floor space.  I'm just not sure where I could put it
33 since it requires some room for the coils to shed their heat.  I'll have
34 to check into it more.
38 > I have the fans set to spin up faster at 35c and above.  Without the
39 > fans they sit around 45c on a typical day and use.  I have found that in
40 > an enclosure its just as important to have good conduction of heat
41 > (disks mounted to the metal frame) and clear the heated air out of the
42 > enclosure as flowing air over the disks.
43 >
44 > Here it gets to 40c+ (>100F) and sometimes humid (not far from the
45 > ocean).  Cooling is fans only, and I have 4 WD Green, 2 WD red and two
46 > seagates (all 2G, in 2x btrfs raid 10) and a few intel and samsung SSD's
47 > (for bcache and system disks) that run ~16 hrs a day with no failures
48 > for the last few years (~10).
51 > Sometimes its better to play the odds.
52 >
53 > BillK
56 If you have those drives in use with those temps, I should be fine
57 here.  When I put the drives in the outbuilding, they won't be powered
58 up or anything.  They can handle more when powered off than they can
59 when powered up and in use.  While I still want to avoid heat, that real
60 world info does help a lot.  If I recall correctly, we have similar
61 weather as well.  I don't live close to the ocean but when the winds
62 come from the south, the moisture gets here soon enough.  I live about
63 250 miles from the gulf coast.  For weather tho, it doesn't take long
64 for heat or moisture to go that far.  The biggest thing, the salt part
65 is gone by the time it gets here.  ;-)
66
67 One thing about the enclosure I got, it has a fan on it.  It moves a
68 fair amount of air.  Drives don't use much power so it doesn't take a
69 whole lot of air flow to get the job done.  Here is a link to one like I
70 have.
71
72 https://www.ebay.com/itm/132706512662
73
74 One reason I got it, someone else using Linux said it worked for them.
75 Since I only use Linux, good deal.
76
77 Thanks.
78