From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4 - error when closing window
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:09:44
1 On 3/22/2010 5:46 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On Monday 22 March 2010 21:19:16 Mick wrote:
4 >>> I thought that KDE4 uses KDEWM not KWin ... ?
5 >>>
6 >> Dunno where you got that name. There's no such thing, and I don't
7 >> think there
8 >> ever has been:
9 >
10 > There is such a thing but it appears to be a variable not a executable.
11 > I found several references to it in the KDE mailing lists. All related
12 > to KDE4 by the way.
13
14 It's not KDE4-specific, but you are correct that it's the name of an
15 environment variable, not an actual KDE component.
16
17 Setting KDEWM was the standard way of getting compiz instead of KWin for
18 your window manager in KDE3. Now that KWin composites all by itself,
19 not really necessary, but the variable still works as before.
20
21 --Mike