From: Bill Roberts <billbalt@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem access to Gentoo from XP over SSH - suggestions?
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:45:03
1 On 16:08 Fri 15 Jul , Steve [Gentoo] wrote:
2 > I was wondering if others have tackled this before me?
3 >
4 > I only have remote SSH access to my Gentoo box (everything else is fire
5 > walled) and I use this to map ports on my client machine to
6 > corresponding ports on my server machine - so, for example, I can access
7 > IMAP; SMTP, X applications etc. on the Gentoo server remotely. My
8 > remote client is WinXP, and I use Cygwin OpenSSH. Owing to low
9 > bandwidth. While Xwindows is usable it is very slow - command line
10 > interaction without X is acceptable for most tasks but imposes a very
11 > restrictive interface. If possible I would like to be able to edit
12 > (relatively small) configuration files remotely in a text editor running
13 > under windows.
14 >
15 > What would be the easiest way to somehow "map" a network drive on my
16 > Gentoo server from Windows given that I need to tunnel over SSH?
17
18 I use "putty" as my sshclient whenever I'm on a Windows machine. For
19 file editing, I use vim, but nano would be more user friendly. putty
20 is nice because you can download the executable from the internet and
21 don't even have to install, just run the executable.
22
23 I have used tightvnc to access a remote box, which gives you the
24 desktop, and it can be tunneled over ssh. Very nice.
25
26 The fastest desktop product is nx and nxserver. It is not opensource,
27 but I believe there is some provision for personal use. I would guess
28 that it can be tunneled over ssh.
29
30 Not sure about the mapping.
31