From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What overwrites resolv.conf
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:12:41
1 I received a used laptop a week or so ago, wiped the tinker-toy OS
2 offered with it and proceeded to do the right thing. So far, I have got
3 a machine I can (manually) put to sleep and use on a wireless network.
4 So far, so good.
5
6 At home, I don't have a wireless AP, but a 50-ft. ethernet cable. When
7 I connect via wireless (at the office, say), then use my machine at
8 home, resolv.conf is toasted, where I use fixed IP and put my DNS
9 servers in there. DHCP is used everywhere else.
10
11 So, what overwrites it, when, how, and how to stop it? Is there a
12 definitive guide to the syntax of the various config files? Or, BETTER
13 YET, is there anyone who has a smoothly-functioning configuration to
14 switch between wireless DHCP and connected hard-wired net setups and
15 would like to share?
16
17 Cheers,
22 | |ichael | |iggins \^ /