From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel does not boot after adding a new SATA drive
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 18:38:20
1 2016-09-06 21:21 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 21:16:12 +0300, gevisz wrote:
3 >
4 >> I had one IDE hard drive for /
5 >> and one SATA hard drive for /home
6 >>
7 >> After adding another (yet non-formatted) SATA hard drive
8 >> the system panics and complains that it cannot find kernel
9 >> (if I understood it correctly :).
10 >>
11 >> As it happens after the GRUB(2) menu, I suspect GRUB(2).
12 >>
13 >> Just executed
14 >> # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
15 >> but have not tried to reboot yet.
16 >>
17 >> After disconnecting a new hard drive, the system boot normally.
18 >
19 > It sounds like you are specifying the root device by device node and
20 > those have changed with the addition of a new drive. Using UUID or LABEL
21 > will avoid this problem.
22
23 Thank you for the prompt reply!
24
25 In my fstab, all the old drives are specified by UUID.
26 And the new one does not have UUID yet.
27
28 But it seems that GRUB does not read fstab... :(
29
30 Where else should I specify them?
31
32 Do you think that running
33 # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
34 with a new drive connected will be enough?