From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 14:10:53
1 On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 04:39:44PM -0700, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote
2 >
3 > Duplicating was easy, but when I try to recompile a kernel I get an error:
4 >
5 > make menuconfig
6 > HOSTCC script/kconfig/mconf.o
7 > <build-in> : internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
8 >
9 > Even if I try to run: emerge --info I get:
10 > Illegal instruction
11
12 Ouch! Are the CPUs exactly identical? If not, then you may get the
13 "Illegal instruction" error. This is a "feature" of Gentoo, which is
14 often user-optimized for a specific CPU. What's the CPU on the source
15 machine and what's the CPU on the target machine? If in doubt,
16 execute...
17
18 gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=
19
20 ...on each machine. There are 3 sub-families of "Intel" machines.
21
22 1) bog-standard Intel code, e.g. core2, also runs on AMD and Intel Atom
23 CPUs at least as new or newer.
24
25 2) Intel Atom code runs only on same or newer Intel Atom, because it has
26 the MOVBE instruction set the others lack.
27
28 3) AMD code runs only on same or newer AMD, because it has the 3DNow!
29 instruction set the others lack.
30
31 If you have such a mismatch, your only option may be to rebuild from
32 scratch.
35 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
36 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications