From: YUE Daian <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Permissions error on starting X.
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 04:00:13
1 On 2018-11-03 14:01, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > HEADS UP!!!
5 >
6 > If you start your X server from the command line with, e.g. startx, you
7 > now need to set the new(?) suid USE flag for the xorg-server package.
8 >
9 > This flag causes the binary to be installed with the setuid file flag,
10 > which causes it to run as root.
11 >
12 > The developers, in this instance, failed to raise the ebuild's version
13 > number from 1.20.3 when making this change, and also didn't notify users
14 > by a NEWS item, that I can see.
15 >
16 > The matter was fairly intensively discussed in bug #669648 in Gentoo's
17 > bugzilla.
18 >
19 > So - if you get a permissions error whilst trying to start X, setting
20 > the suid USE flag may well be the solution.
21 >
22 > --
23 > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
24
25 I got the same problem yesterday.
26
27 My setup was startx + StumpWM.
28
29 I got "setblabla error: cannot open /dev/tty0 (permission denied)".
30
31 A possible solution without changing anything unnecessary is to run
32 startx as "startx -- vt1".
33
34 No need to change permission/ownership of anything.
35 It is just required that the user is in "video" group. No "tty" or
36 "input" needed.
37
38 I presume it is because your user does not have access to TTY other than
39 its login TTY. So if you log in by "tty1", just start X in "vt1".
40
41 Hope that helps somehow.
42
43 Danny